Saturday, February 6, 2010

What is it?

As we conetemplate the 12 to 21 inches of the stuff under which we are buried, there's only one thing on the minds of Washingtonians this morning: snow. But what exactly is snow?

According to unimpeachable sources, snow is just water. That's right, it's made up of "crystals of frozen water, i.e., ice."

It seems a little incredible at first. Sure, water can take on surprisingly different forms -- it can be a gas, a liquid, or a solid. But snow? Snow sure doesn't look like water.

Still, so many sources agree on this point, that I guess I believe it. Probably you do too. But all the same, join me for this little thought experiment:

If I gave you a cup of water and said, "turn this into steam," you'd know what to do.

If I gave you a cup of water and said, "turn this into ice," you'd know what to do.

Now suppose I gave you a cup of water and said, "turn this into snow." Would you even know how to start?

I don't know about you, but asking me to turn water into snow would be like asking me to turn straw into gold. I could fool around with water all day and you'd never see a single snowflake.

A couple feet of the stuff is pretty. But it sure doesn't look like water to me.

No comments: