Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Go Fish

Let me get this straight. As you're eating a filet o' fish sandwich at McDonald's, the company wants you to be thinking, "you know, what I'm eating used to be an actual fish, swimming around happily in the water somewhere. I'm eating something that used to be alive. And how would I like it if some fish were eating me?"

What else could explain the strangely macabre ad series that McDonald's is using to push this sandwich? A man buys a filet o' fish sandwich at a drive thru, but before he can take a bite, he gets a call on his cell phone from -- a fish! And the fish, which is stuffed and mounted on a wall, sings to him, "Give me back that filet o' fish! Give me back that fish! What if it were you hanging up on this wall? If it were you in that sandwich you wouldn't be getting this call!"

The man dumps his cell out the window and takes a big bite out of the sandwich, but is that what you would do? If you're not a vegetarian, presumably you've made your peace with eating fish and animals, but do you really want to think about it as you're eating?

Sheesh, what a weird ad.

No comments: