Thursday, May 3, 2007

A Case Made for the Blogosphere

Sometimes comment seems superfluous. When a man accuses his dry cleaner of losing his favorite pair of pants and sues for 65 million dollars in damages, what is there left to say?

I guess it's worth mentioning that plaintiff Roy Pearson is an administrative law judge for the District of Columbia and has a J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law.

That lowers the probability that he's just crazy, although the suit does make one wonder.

Oh, and by the way, the defendants offered up to $12,000 to settle, which might, to a rational person, seem like reasonable compensation for a lost pair of pants, even a pretty damn nice pair.

In fact, I would be kind of embarrassed to take that much from a dry cleaner. I'd be upset if a dry cleaner lost my pants (luckily, it's never happened), and if they were part of a suit I suppose I might feel entitled to the cost of the whole suit plus something to compensate me for the time and bother of finding a new suit. Let's go all out and say I should get twice the cost of the whole suit. How much could that be? Even an Armani suit at Neiman-Markus is only $1695. Apparently Pearson himself valued the pants at only $800.

Sheesh, take the $12,000 and buy yourself some new pants. What a windfall.

No comments: