Friday, December 21, 2007

Cue Bill Clinton

So Mitt Romney first said that he "saw" his father march with Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he's backing away from that statement. OK, he screwed up. But the most delicious part of the whole thing is that Romeny now says:

"If you look at the literature, if you look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of in the sense I've described. It's a figure of speech and very familiar, and it's very common. And I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort."

Could there be a more Clintonesque explanation? (I mean President Clinton here, not Senator Clinton.) Aren't we entitled to one politician who can talk about things in straightforward terms that don't need footnotes and hypertechnical exegesis? Isn't there a politician who's capable of admitting error?

No comments: