Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tired Cliche

I'm nearly done with the grading process, and boy am I happy about that. Grading is the worst part of the job.

About this time of year, you often hear professors console themselves by saying, "grading is what I get paid my entire salary to do. I'd do the rest of my job for free."

This was amusing the first few times I heard it, but it's gotten rather stale by now. And I'm sorry, but it's not true. Being a law professor is in fact a great job, but it's not something I or anyone else would do for free.

Don't believe me? Here's my standing offer to any law professor who makes a good salary and who insists on this view: I'll do your grading for you. You do the rest of your job. And you'll only have to pay me three-quarters of your salary. You can keep a quarter for yourself. That way, you'll be ahead of the game, since you've stated that you'd do the rest of your job for free.

Any takers?

No comments: